HoustonTexans.com     News     Texans TV     Cheerleaders     Texans Gear    Download Toolbar     Photo Store

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Boards > Texans Discussion > The Bull Pen

The Bull Pen Discuss Texans football here! HOUSTON TEXANS only discussions. Discussions involving other players and teams go in NFL section. We strive to keep this forum strictly about our Texans.

Old 07-24-2008
Rookie

Post Texans vs. Ravens

Well after the good response I received to the Texans vs. Steelers thread I figure I'll keep it up and give my analysis on facing off with the Ravens in our home opener...

Key Match-ups:

Texans Fan Base vs. Ravens QB

Lets be honest... The Texans have one of the best home field advantages in football. Every home game in team history has been sold out. Whoever the Ravens QB is whether it's Joe Flacco or Troy Smith (I dont see Kyle Boller getting the job) Those two are both basically rookies. Troy Smith has only played a couple games and Joe Flacco has all of Baltimore on his shoulders as their "savior". The crowd noise in the first home game of the most anticipated season in team history is going to be deafening. I have no doubt in my mind that the already struggling Ravens offense who's best weapon is Todd Heap is going to be having problems. Willis Macgahee is good too but is inconsistent.

Raven's Defense vs. Texans Offense

I know this is a really generic answer and I try to avoid these but it's just what really stands out to me. The Raven's defense is pretty solid all around. Ed Reed and Ray Lewis anchor this experienced unit. They are getting older however. I see this game being a classic Texans offense game. The ZBS should really start pounding on their D-Line and their Linbacking corps when they rush. Opening up bootlegs and play action to Johnson and short screens and draw plays for Ahman. I see alot of Chris Brown and Chris Taylor/Darius Walker (whoever makes the team) pounding the ball in the first half to wear down the aging defense. With Ahman and Slaton cutting it up for quick open field gains in the second half. Ball control and demoralizing the Ravens is the quickest way to beating them in Houston.

Texans D-Line vs. Ravens QB

I know another Ravens QB matchup but this one is important as well. I think the D-line is one of those important key matchups every game. The Ravens O-line took a huge blow with Johnathan Ogden retiring. Especially since he would have been the one guarding... You guessed it Super Mario. I see Mario Williams getting 2.5 sacks minimum this game against a poor O-Line and an inexperienced QB. With crowd noise and the Texans D-Line coming at this QB I see Fred Bennet having a field day with picks and pass defenses. Unlike the Steelers game where I hope for 3 sacks and 5 QB pressures minimum I EXPECT 3 sacks and 5 QB pressures minimum. There's no doubt in my mind that Okoye and Mario along with Colvin and Okam that we can force fumbles and cause interceptions.

My prediction is a double digit win against a really demoralized and tired Ravens team. 35-14 (I think I'm being generous on the Raven's offense but I gotta give a little credit)

Let me know what you guys think...
Old 07-24-2008
Veteran

Yeah, this is definitely a game I think the Texans should win, being that it's our home opener, and the Ravens have a lot of ? marks on offense and an aging defense. I hope they decide to start Flacco because they have some new guys on their O-line. I look for the Texans D-line to exploit it,and that's bad news for Flacco being a rook and all.
Old 07-24-2008
Pro Bowler

Baltimore is kinda in a rebuilding phase, so i think this will be a given. New head coach, battling QB position, some old dudes like Ray Lewis to deal with, and some other issues.
Old 07-24-2008
" A New Era Begins"

If we come out of Pittsburgh with a W (which I believe we will), The home crowd is gonna be CRAZY!!! I know I'm pumped all ready for this season. I agree with your take, however I see it 41 - 6 Texans. Over by halftime at 28 - 0. Texans record 7 sacks and 4 picks. Gain 150 yards rushing.
Old 07-24-2008
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyrbl View Post
If we come out of Pittsburgh with a W (which I believe we will), The home crowd is gonna be CRAZY!!! I know I'm pumped all ready for this season. I agree with your take, however I see it 41 - 6 Texans. Over by halftime at 28 - 0. Texans record 7 sacks and 4 picks. Gain 150 yards rushing.
WOW, don't get too cocky. This Texans team will be talented, but 41-6? The Ravens were around 13-3 2 years ago.
Old 07-25-2008
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyrbl View Post
Woah now, remember the ravens defense is one of the leagues finest. You have to show them some respect here.

Texans 27
Ravens 13
Old 07-25-2008
Practice Squad

I'm not really worried about their offense or defense, no disrespect to their defense of course, but i'm kinda worried about their new approach to improve on special teams. They've got some new guys trough free agency and the draft only for special teams. Their new headcoach is a former special teams coordinator. Having us defending a short field or having to cover 80 yards for a score is going to be tough.
Old 07-25-2008
Pro Bowler

Send a message via AIM to DeclanJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element1337 View Post
WOW, don't get too cocky. This Texans team will be talented, but 41-6? The Ravens were around 13-3 2 years ago.
Have to agree just because I don't see Kubes running up the score.